Ukiyo-e Japanese Print - Shibaraku
- Japanese woodblock print
- Yakusha-e kabuki actor portray
- By Japanese artist Toyohara Kunichika
- Part of the 18 Best Kabuki Plays
- Printed in London on textured natural white paper 180 gsm
- White border of roughly 1 cm
- Size A3 (297 mm x 420mm / 11,7 x 16,5 inch.)
This Japanese woodblock print was made by Toyohara Kunichika, a master of ukiyo-e prints who was infatuated with the extravagance and drama of the kabuki theater.
This type of prints are called Yakusha-e, which are kabuki actor portrays. And this one in particular, showcases the extremely popular kabuki play Shibaraku.
Kunichika was wildly criticized for his use of deep reds and dark purples in his kabuki prints, however, this had a great influence in mid 19th century modern art.
Make up was an essential part of kabuki play's costumes, with red make up used on heroic characters and blue on villains!
Discover our full Japanese print collection.
Paper Size: A3 (297 mm x 420mm / 11,7 x 16,5 inch.)
The print is sold unframed, however we can frame it for you in a natural, white or black 400 mm x 500 mm wooden frame option available at an additional £30.
Important: Framed artwork will only be available for pick up only.
The black frame comes with black background paper.
The natural frame comes with an ecru background paper.
The white frame comes with a white background paper.
How do I purchase a framed print?
- Send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or DM us on Instagram with the print that you would like to purchase and the colour of the frame.
- We will send you a link for the payment and will arrange a suitable date and time for collection at our 91 Brick Lane shop.