Japanese Woodblock Prints - Portrait of an actor IV by Kunichika
- Japanese Prints
- Yakusha-e kabuki actor portray
- By Japanese artist Toyohara Kunichika
- Printed in London on textured natural white paper 180 gsm
- White border of roughly 1 cm
- Size A3 (297 mm x 420mm / 11,7 x 16,5 inch.)
This Japanese woodblock print was made by Toyohara Kunichika, a master of ukiyo-e prints who was infatuated with the extravagance and drama of the kabuki theater.
His deep appreciation and knowledge of the kabuki theater led him to master a type of woodblock prints called Yakusha-e, which are kabuki actor portrays and scenes from the most popular plays of the time.
Kabuki means the art of song and dance, but the over the top costumes, make up, lighting and props makes kabuki an incredible visual spectacle.
Kunichika was wildly criticized for his use of deep colours, like reds and purples, in his kabuki prints, however, this had a great influence in mid 19th century modern art.
In this portrait we can see a kabuki actor wearing a voluminous floral costume, and a blue and ochre headpiece.
Kabuki is believed to have originated in 1603 when both men and women could perform kabuki theater, however, women were banned from kabuki theater in 1629 and so both male and female roles have been performed only by male actors ever since.
Discover our full Japanese print collection.
Paper Size: A3 (297 mm x 420mm / 11,7 x 16,5 inch.)
The print is sold unframed, however we can frame it for you in a natural, white or black 400 mm x 500 mm wooden frame option available at an additional £30.
Important: Framed artwork will only be available for pick up only.
The black frame comes with black background paper.
The natural frame comes with an ecru background paper.
The white frame comes with a white background paper.
How do I purchase a framed print?
- Send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or DM us on Instagram with the print that you would like to purchase and the colour of the frame.
- We will send you a link for the payment and will arrange a suitable date and time for collection at our 91 Brick Lane shop.